I graduated in 2003 with distinction and since then I have worked in community mental health with adults as an Art Psychotherapist. I held the post of Senior Art Psychotherapist within Health-in-Mind from 2009 to 2021. During this time I facilitated groups, held a caseload of individual clients, supervised art therapy trainees and promoted and managed an Art Psychotherapy Service.
In 2018, I co-facilitated an Interpersonal Learning group for the Art Therapy MSc at Queen Margaret University. More recently, I have been working in Edinburgh University’s Student Counselling Service.
Before training in art psychotherapy, I worked as a Community Artist with children and in Community Education, with adults and adolescents with learning disabilities.
Art has always provided comfort and enjoyment for me and I have found sustenance from art in its many forms throughout my life.
I am committed to continual professional development and have undertaken further training which has been invaluable to my learning and continual professional growth. Here is an example of training courses taken over the past few years.
- Mindfulness (various short courses) BAAT/ Michael Stepek (2021)
- Scotland’s mental health first aid – young people (SMHFA:YP) training course (2020)
- Cultural Competence – Nafsiyat Intercultural Therapy Centre London (2020)
- Mentalisation based art therapy groups – Oxford College of Arts Therapies (2020)
- ASIST (Applied suicide intervention skills training) – Choose Life (2019)
- Trauma Enhanced Practice – Health-in-Mind Edinburgh (2018)
- Trauma and the Brain – BAAT (2017)
- Supervision Training for Art Therapists – BAAT (2016)
2001 – 2003 F/T Postgraduate Diploma in Art Therapy. Queen Margaret’s University Edinburgh
2000 (7th – 25th August) Creative Arts Summer school. Queen Margaret University
1999 (16th July – 24th August – 67hrs) Arts for Change: Working & Playing with Children & Adolescents. Roehampton Institute
1995-1996 City & Guilds Certificate Further & Adult Education Teachers’ Certificate
1990 – 1993 BA Degree (Hons) Middlesex University